Have a blast while you last!
This witty phrase (by Charles Swindoll from Living on a Ragged Edge: Coming to Terms with Reality) sums up quite nicely the theme of Eccl 9:7-11.
7 Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for God has already approved what you do. 8 Always be clothed in white, and always anoint your head with oil. 9 Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun—all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun. 10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom.
5 ways to enjoy life:
1) Enjoy life with a joyful heart. Eat, drink and be merry. Why? Because God affirms, approves of it. v. 7
2) Celebrate! To be clothed in white and anoint your head with oil means to celebrate life. In the OT, black clothes and ashes on the head are associated with mourning. In contrast, white garments and oil on the head are signs of rejoicing.
3) Enjoy life with your wife. Why? Because you love her. v. 9a
Because life is God-given. v.9b This applies to wives as well, enjoy life with your husband. Marriage is a 2-way street. Make yourself enjoyable for each other.
4) Enjoy because this is the fruit of your labor… toilsome = hard work. v. 9c
5) Do your best in all you do. Why? Because when u die, everything is pointless. v. 10
Enjoy life while you live. It is not being carnal or worldly. How so? Because you know that the good life is approved by God, given by God. Why so? Because after you die, you can no longer do it.